Electrical Systems Engineering
If you are thinking about studying MS ESE at the University of Paderborn, you will have to meet a number of requirements.
- You will need to hold a school leaving certificate or similar qualification which qualifies you for admission to a German university.
- Furthermore, you need to hold a bachelor degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Your final grade in this program should be 2.5 (according to the German marking system).
- You will be admitted to the MS ESE if the responsible examination board confirms the equivalency of your bachelor degree.
- International students from non-EU countries need to show a proof of the GRE Revised General Test results. Typically, a score of at least 157 in the part "Quantitative Reasoning" and a minimum of 4 in the part "Analytical Writing" is desirable. Applicants with very good and good grades in their degrees may apply without GRE results. However, it is advisable to submit a GRE score as it benefits an applicant’s overall application profile.
Before you apply, however, we recommend that you take the following two self-assessment tests in Signal Theory and Fields & Waves in order to determine for yourself whether you possess the necessary background knowledge for a successful completion of this degree program:
These tests should be taken without any aids. You can check your answers here:
- Solutions to self-assessment test in Signal Theory
- Solutions to self-assessment test in Fields & Waves
For the Signal Theory test, you should score at least 10 points out of 20 using the marking scheme shown on the test. For the Fields & Waves test, at least 75% of your answers should be correct. If you score less than that, you will probably not have the necessary background knowledge for a successful completion of this degree program.
Before you can start your academic studies, you need to prove that your English language skills are up to university standards.
You can enroll for the MS ESE if you have a very good command of the English language. To prove your language skills, the following certificates are accepted:
- a bachelor degree gained in Australia, Great Britain, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, or the USA,
- a German bachelor degree obtained in a study program that has been accredited as an English language program,
- TOEFL with a minimum result of 585 (pencil and paper) or 87 (internet),
- Cambridge English: First (FCE),
- IELTS with a minimum result of 6.0.